Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Programatically offering Remote Assistance

I needed to shift gears a little bit today; I'm having more and more need of giving people outside of IT the ability to offer remote assistance to other users. Since the Offer Remote Assistance tool requires a workstation or IP, and I've got too many workstations to know by heart (I used to know all of them), I've got our login script writing out a text file for each user when they log in. When I need to connect to a user, I open their text file, get their IP, and connect to it.

Kinda complicated for your average user, though. So today I wrote a small ASP.NET application that writes out a database record when the user logs in. My goal is to then have another part of this application be an interface that a user can go to, select a remote user to connect to, and have the application do the rest of the work. The critical piece of this is being able to programatically start up remote assistance and feed it an IP address.

I looked into this back in May, but I didn't keep any notes. So the main point of this post is to store links that might be valuable, and possibly a solution if I come acrossed it. First, the best Google string seems to be "unsolicited remote assistance pass parameter". Some of the links that come back that look useful are:

http://blog.netnerds.net/2006/12/ra-pass-workstation-and-username-parameters-to-offer-remote-assistance/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811079.aspx
http://www.joatit.com/wordpress/?p=53

There is probably other good information, but now, if I wind up getting sent off in another direction, I can come back here and start again.

No comments: