Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Followthrough, followthrough, followthrough

I love it when people actually finish a discussion. I'm firmly convinced that I will never run into a problem that no one else has ever seen. My Googling supports this notion--I can't think of an error message or strange situation I've seen on a computer that hasn't resulted in links to other people asking about the same problem.

I'm also convinced that I'll never run into a problem that hasn't already been solved by somebody...but this is where it gets trickier. It seems that most people never return to where they sought help and say what solved the problem. It's annoying--you know they probably fixed it...but they don't think to share how.

I have been annoyed lately by Word asking me to save changes to the underlying template of every document I open. And I found a discussion (the link goes to one of those newsgroup archiving sites that litters everything with ads) where someone had the same issue. I got to the bottom of page 2 and started to feel dejected--was it going to happen again?

This time, No! Not only did the last page contain a suggestion that wound up solving the problem, but it solved my issue as well (in this case, the Microsoft Office Live addin was dorking things up--it's uninstalled now). Thank you mysterious person on the Internet for actually keeping everyone in the loop!

No comments: