Monday, October 27, 2008

Sharepoint Lists--gotta keep remembering that this is object oriented...

I've been pounding my head against a wall on this Sharepoint List idea I mentioned a few posts ago. And then, tonight, while, um...on the comode...I had an idea.

All of this stuff is now object oriented. VB is OO, all of the stuff in Sharepoint is OO. I've been thinking in terms of flat development, though, trying to make a project that is generic while also having all of the features I want. Silly programmer.

So, new plan--the sublist stuff will come in the second generation object. First generation will focus solely on keyword processing. Ultimately, the entire goal of a keyword is to drop a value into a list item field. The XML layout for the keywords should contain the keyword name, the column that the value will go into, and a datatype (for validation). I may add one or two things to that list as I work, but that's pretty much it. Then gen 2 can handle processing to sublists based on field values, rather than having it worry about keyword processing as well.

No comments: