Saturday, October 04, 2008

Huh, they haven't deleted this thing yet. OK, so here's my big "what if" project right now. I'm starting to hit Sharepoint pretty heavily for work, and I want to do a big whiz-bang thing to show management so they realize the benefits. I also want to start tracking support calls better.

So, in a nutshell, here's the plan: Create a list on a sharepoint site that will receive all of our support emails and voicemails. Have this list use the ID number of the list entry as a case number, and have the list use keywords included in the posting to set various items (like responsible IT person, issue types, etc.).

Then, have another list that contains the work detail for each case. I'm thinking that I can put logic into the first list so that, if a posting comes in that has a case number keyword embedded in it, it can move the entry to the secondary list as a piece of detail for that case.

I'm playing around with event receivers for lists (I'm using the announcement list right now--seems simplest), but I'm missing one somewhat important piece. The primary list will need to have a reference to the secondary list in some way. I figured I'd just use Visual Studio to create a new list type based off of Announcement, but all I can do with that is add columns to the list. I haven't found yet if I can add properties to the list itself. So if anyone knows how to do that, let me know--otherwise my workaround will be to put one entry into the list (expire it, since I'm using the announcement list and it won't show up on most views if it's expired) that has keywords for the name of the secondary list, as well as any other "List wide" properties I need.

No comments: