Thursday, January 22, 2009

C:\Windows\Installer handles my Icons? huh...

I've been trying to slimline the installation on my laptop; I've had to rebuild it a few times in the past month (for various reasons), and I'd like to get an image small enough that I can squeeze onto my USB flash drive (now up to 4GB, thanks work!). Two folders in the Windows directory jumped out at me:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Apparently this is where all the installs for various Windows Updates go. The "Download" folder under this is essentially temp storage that never gets cleared out, so it can be emptied. I guess if you ever plan to uninstall any updates, you need the other contents of this folder.

C:\Windows\Installer. Everything I read implied that this was a cache of installations for programs that you install via CD or another "terrestrial" method. I read that you can move it, and you should be fine.

So I moved it to my old USB Flash Drive. And all my icons disappeared.

Specifically, the icon for just about every program turned into that generic "Windows" icon. It also affected documents--documents that opened in programs with bad icons also had bad icons themselves. I tried the usual (delete the icon cache, reboot, etc.) and no change. I moved the Installer folder back from my flash drive, though, and all of the icons reappeared.

So, the moral of the story is that, if you choose to move C:\Windows\Installer, make sure you move it to a drive that actually remains connected to your computer...

No comments: